was found dead of shrapnel wounds to the throat. Listing is for 1, stock photos show front and back. My Dad passed away in June, 1994. Traveled by train from Scotland to England -- crossed the English Channel on Higgins Boats landing on the beach at Le Harve, France (Harbor was destroyed on D-Day). I'm also listing his military marksmanship information; MM 30.Caliber Rifle, Combat Infantry Badge, 1st CL GNR 30 CAL HMS. 22874 Lincoln Ct. I have his honorable discharge papers and according to them he was a heavy mortar crewman, he was awarded the EAME with 2 Bronze Stars, Good Conduct Medal, World War II Victory Medal. Robert J Kountz, NAME:Sgt. NAME:Sgt DelMar E. Wilson Victor Glusco, 417th Infantry, Co. E (16 July 2008) The excellent role of the 417th Infantry Regiment is noted in WE RIPENED FAST - the History of the 76th Infantry Division. The river was at flood stage due to warmer weather melting the snow pack. However, when I turned around the hill to enter the town, all hell broke loose. My Father (Charles B. Schatz, SR) belonged to the 417th reg. He thinks that the 6th, or 9th armored division may hae liberated him at a dairy farm. ); published by the 1st Battalion, 417th Infantry, 76th Division under the supervision of Major Verne E. Pate, assistant supervisor and editor 1st Lt. John Milliken, assistant editor T/Sgt. Hello, My name is Daphne(Barnes)Houze and I am the daughter of Both shots knocked me down and both times I thought I was hit. He thinks that the 6th, or 9th armored division may hae liberated him at a dairy farm. Terry L. Glusko, Sr. it because I have a collection of his millitary things. I would love to hear from anyone who may have served with The Regiment … The 3 of us got down on our back sides and slid the rest of the way down. Constituted 5 August 1917 as the 76th Division. The road was zeroed in with mortars and machine-gun fire. 2. Furthermore, there is the History of the First Battalion of the 417th Infantry Regiment: "ALWAYS FIRST" - THE FIRST BATTALION, 417TH INFANTRY REGIMENT (1945, Gera, Germany ? I don't know much about my father's e-mail: paron@ix.netcom.com, My great uncle T/Sgt. I ran up that road to the entrance of the yard then turned left into the yard and up about 8 or 10 steps to the front porch -- as I neared the top step my legs collapsed and I fell flat on the porch -- at that instant a bullet splattered in to the wall of the house in front of me -- As I rose to my feet the platoon Sgt reached out the door - grabbed my hand and yanked me into the house before the sniper could get off another shot. are in the National Archives, Washington, D.C., and Suitland, MD, in Carlisle Barracks, PA and possibly in Fort Benning, GA (Research Library of the Infantry School). and was still in the hospital when his mother died (of butter and jelly sandwich, waved goodbye and never saw him again.He was 19 The river was at flood stage due to warmer weather melting the snow pack. There was a hail of fire in front of me which I could reach out and touch. e-mail: paron@ix.netcom.com, NAME:T/5 John J. Kapera I ran up that road to the entrance of the yard then turned left into the yard and up about 8 or 10 steps to the front porch -- as I neared the top step my legs collapsed and I fell flat on the porch -- at that instant a bullet splattered in to the wall of the house in front of me -- As I rose to my feet the platoon Sgt reached out the door - grabbed my hand and yanked me into the house before the sniper could get off another shot. However, a couple of times I was pinned down - once in the ditch alongside the road. An Infantryman's pride is to be able to wear the "Combat Infantryman's Badge". Company I, 76th Infantry Division. My father's name was John J. Kopera & he was from Hastings, PA. Our family, at the time, made a great Hello, during the crossing of the Sauer River. I am continuing to search and and sisters are dead. Sadly, my dad was an intensely private, stoic man who First Sgt John Scudder The excellent role of the 417th Infantry Regiment is noted in WE RIPENED FAST - the History of the 76th Infantry Division. 76th Infantry Division My grandfather Bernard W. Whittington fought in World War II with the 1st Battalion, 417th Infantry Regiment, 76th Infantry Division, in Patton's Third Army. Our troops were all over the place, many in bunches just getting past the first house. On day of allied crossings at other locations we watched from an elevated position above the river as our Combat Engineers constructed a pontoon Bridge across the Rhine under enemy fire, then we crossed that night on trucks being deposited a few miles east of the River in the middle of a moonless night. I guess it was a bit funny -- me, standing there as one of two survivors of my squad with bullet holes in my shirt and a bullet lodged in my boot asking if I was qualified for the badge. He is trying to remember things so I can write them down. 1. We do Gerald, this enough for now, contact me if you would care to. Thank you for your help, and thank you for your service. disinterred and reburied in New York with a military funeral. I don't think we hit him. When traveling with tanks we were permitted to ride on the tanks when not under fire. Once the Engineers were able to establish a bridge across the Sauer River, Armored Vehicles(Tanks) were able to cross the river to aid the Infantry which had been cut off for several days. The regiment was attached to Wright's 3rd Brigade, Sherman's South Carolina Expedition, to April 1862. Those that made it across the river the 1st night ran into mine fields just across the river and many were killed or wounded there. painstakingly slow process. We came on home for a long furlough and re-assignment until I was elgible for discharge - June 19, 1946. My platoon reached Oberwassel on the bend of the Rhine River and we billeted there for a few days. Married my high school sweetheart (62 years and counting), and worked a couple of years before deciding to take advantage of the G.I Benifits and enrolled in college at California State Polytechnic College at San Luis Obispo, Calif --- Retired in 1989 from a large Public Utility as District Manager. My name is Terry L. Glusko, Sr. from Springfield, Massachusetts. Apparently both times they thought they had got me, and stopped shooting. All of his brothers After crossing the Rhine at St. Goar, we were on what was known as mopping up operations. The 45th Infantry Division was an infantry division of the United States Army, part of the Oklahoma Army National Guard, from 1920 to 1968.Headquartered mostly in Oklahoma City, the guardsmen fought in both World War II and the Korean War.. The town was crowded with refugees that the Krauts left behind on their retreat across the Rhine. One such incident is: He is almost 89 years old. A number of incidents still stand out in my mind during that time frame. Many years went by and my mother gave Part way across I was in the water up to my knees. My name is Lawrence J. Selegue. Train Station in Chicago. Hartmann joined the 76th Division as a Corporal and was assigned to I-Company, 417th Infantry Regiment. 1945. 4341 Isabella Street, Size 2 3/4 x2 3/4 inches. (In training we were told never to bunch up) After a few minutes an officer running down the road stopped momentarily and ordered us out of the ditch and to move up. We came on home for a long furlough and re-assignment until I was elgible for discharge - June 19, 1946. Thank you so much for reading this. The following morning we regrouped and moved east through the next small village where several of our tanks were knocked out and a few of the tankers were pinned down in a house and were really happy to see us. for over seas shipment. The 417th Infantry Regiment, 76th Infantry Division started to make history at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin where full time pre-combat training terminated in November of 1944. Again I was pinned down in the shallow ditch behind a burned out jeep. Again, their bullets either hit the jeep or hit the pavement and richocheting over my head. bodies were on the street - some having been ran over by tracked vehicles and some with their throats slit. If there is anything else I can provide you please don't hesitate to contact me. Because of this (I was 7 at I myself fired 4 rounds. Another incident that is fairly clear in my mind. Hello, I would like to add my uncle's name to the registry, he was "Jack F Kountz" he was in the 76th division, 417th regiment Headquarters Company, was assigned to reconassance. 2. Thanks, I know he received a purple heart and a bronze star for We stopped and when they got close enough we challenged the unknown individual. And by including until now unknown personal memories and documents of personal photos which are collected in albums to this day! I joined the outfit in late December of 1944 to 30 March whin I was wounded. We later learned that the town was defended by 200 German SS troops. G.I. Loud foot steps from the road were heard approaching us. Another incident that is fairly clear in my mind. infantry regiment. USAF, SMSgt, Retired, Mr. Brown, My platoon was dug in on high ground in the woods in the Sauer River area. It is also dedicated to the men of G Company, 304th Infantry Regiment who served with him, and became his extended family. Organized 25 August 1917 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts. After getting into the town I learned that my platoon was regrouping in a house up a road to the left. The 98th Training Division… My platoon was in single file going around a bend in the road (dead Krauts off to the sides) to enter the town. Copies of the After Action Reports, Combat Records and G-Journals (G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4 and G-5 - the journals give information to further important records, reports and documents!) Victor Glusco, Serial # 13022595 and his unit assignment was Company "E",417th Infantry Regiment, 76th Division. ABMC Headquarters 2300 Clarendon Blvd, Suite 500 Arlington, VA 22201 Phone: 703-584-1501 - Coming to an area like a town square, North, using his best high school German asked a lady for eggs -- she immediatly starting yelling at the top of her voice and all the people grabbed their children and disappeared into their houses - pretty soon a young attractive blonde came out and asked in perfect english "what do you want" and North said - we are looking for eggs. I was unscrathed, but did get a bullet across my back from right to left leaving three holes in my field jacket and 5 holes in the shirt under the jacket (apparently the shirt was folded under the jacket and sweater). She -- in a rather haughty voice said -- well, you are asking for children.----- I never quite trusted North's high school German after that. First Class Emmett Dangerfield Sr, Company M, 417th Infantry. She has very little memory of him and would really like some information (btn, company, pltn, anything really). I'd appreciate any information. Lots of luck and success on your endeavor. him! Company I - about the end of February 1945. Lots of luck and success on your endeavor. a T/5 & served in the Army from 1943-1946. me his things several years ago. would be great to learn more about him and the 417th in general. As we moved to another town, more white sheets were hanging from windows, more Krauts were surrendering and more resistance was encountered. He was The 76th Infantry Division arrived in England, 20 December 1944, where it received additional training. John Kopera The Division … Out I got for about 10 yards when a mortar shell exploded in front of me (probably after the T.D.). participation in the war but have been trying to research The only ones I do remember in addition to Pvt. If you can help me with information, It would really be helpful. I am looking for anyone in the 417th who might have known Verlon M. Horton. I am looking for anyone in the 417th who might have known Verlon M. Horton. My Father, Sgt. Lying on the ground, I could hardly move. While the staff prepared all the … My platoon reached Oberwassel on the bend of the Rhine River and we billeted there for a few days. Gerald: I served in Compay M, 3rd Battalion, 417th Regiment. painstakingly slow process. 417 Bn, Co F. 4th platoon. issue knit sweater disintegrated and was discarded the next day. With the Lieutenant's arms across our shoulder we started down the side of a small mountain to the Aid Station. years old when he left and was dead by age 20 in Europe.I know a long If you can help me with information, It would really be helpful. Five day trip from coast to coast on a regular passanger train (Chair car). My name is Terry L. Glusko, Sr. from Springfield, Massachusetts. At the end of the war, the 417th provided occupation duty until regular occupation troops were assigned to relieve us. Company B. (Tried to sell us colored water as wine - etc etc) Was assigned to the 417th Inf. The 3 of us got down on our back sides and slid the rest of the way down. years old when he left and was dead by age 20 in Europe.I know a long If there is anything else I can provide you please don't hesitate to contact me. My father's name was John J. Kopera & he was from Hastings, PA. We do Part way down bullets were swishing past my ears. (In training we were told never to bunch up) After a few minutes an officer running down the road stopped momentarily and ordered us out of the ditch and to move up. Out I got for about 10 yards when a mortar shell exploded in front of me (probably after the T.D.). As far as I can determine Dogs were forever barking giving our position away. Dennis Terek The 304th Infantry Regiment entered action in ETO 19 January 1945 and Hollis Cloyd was KIA near Holsthum, Germany 25 February 1945. In passing through a number of farm towns (I don't remember their names) white sheets were hanging from many windows, there was little or no resistance from the enemy. the time) I have no first hand accounts of my Dad in WWII. rarely spoke of his injuries or his experiences and he Inducted at Fort McAuther near Santa Monica, California on August 7, 1944. John G. Ernsberger, View Photo We managed to cross by moving from rock to rock. or by e-mail: daphnept@earthlink.net. Gerald, this enough for now, contact me if you would care to. effort to find more about the circumstances of his death and about his I need some help from the vets of the 417th. Thanks, It landed at Le Havre, France, 12 January 1945, and proceeded to the Limesy concentration area. She handed him his favorite treat, a peanut However, a couple of times I was pinned down - once in the ditch alongside the road. His rank and name was Sgt. My girlfirends grandmother is his daughter and she was 7 when he was killed. butter and jelly sandwich, waved goodbye and never saw him again.He was 19 His battles and campaigns were Rhineland, Central Europe. With our rifles on our hips we opened fire in the direction of the foot steps. Upon completing his basic training, he quickly … If you can help me with information, It would really be helpful. The 76th Infantry Division arrived in England, 20 December 1944, where it received additional training. A. LaVecchia He had bright "red" hair and was from a small coal mining & farming community called Smoke Run, Pennsylvania. Thank you, The person stopped, then the foot steps began again running away from us. We later learned that the town was defended by 200 German SS troops. Inducted at Fort McAuther near Santa Monica, California on August 7, 1944. The Germans did have good crackers and canned cheese which we availed ourselves to, after we routed them from their pill boxes and other fortifications. Structure of the division: Headquarters; 178th Infantry Regiment; 203rd Infantry Regiment; 230th Infantry Regiment The next day we were ordered to shoot all dogs on sight. Edward T. Allen, My Father, Sgt. Clyde H. Horning. He is not sure where in Germany. I guess it was a bit funny -- me, standing there as one of two survivors of my squad with bullet holes in my shirt and a bullet lodged in my boot asking if I was qualified for the badge. I don't know much about my father's The Regiment suffered large losses in the river crossing. Lying on the ground, I could hardly move. Traveled to Replacement Depot in Belgium by train (Box Cars). wounds and actions while in the 417th between 15-21, Feb. Further notes can be found in the histories of the 304th and 385th Infantry Regiments ... and in the After Action Reports of the companies and battalions of the 417th Regiment ... or the G-Journals of the 76th Infantry Division (until now, unfortunately, this one hasn't been evaluated - all restrictions are lifted since 1992!) Company I - about the end of February 1945. (One man had blisters on his feet and was riding with the kitchen). Together with the 304th Infantry Regiment they amounted, roughly, to two-thirds of division strength. Semper Fidelis, View Photo The town of Grietz had moderate resistance and as we were clearing the town, house by house, I went through one house from front to back and into the back yard and as I passed a storm cellar with the door open I got a glimpse of movement in the cellar -- stepped back - and was pulling the pin on a grenade when a german civilain came up the steps shouting "nix Schision" and pointing back into the cellar - I took another look and saw that the cellar was full of civilians - mostly women and children. I know that we sat near Chemitz on the Mulda River south of Berlin for about 30 days waiting for the Russian troops to get to our location. The 5th Division crossed up river while the 417th Regiment was crossing into the heavily fortified hills across the Sauer River from Ecternach, Luxumborg. When traveling with tanks we were permitted to ride on the tanks when not under fire. Loud foot steps from the road were heard approaching us. On a moonless night I was on a 4 man patrol to hook up with our troops in St. Goar, it was pitch black out and you had to hold onto the pack of your buddy in front of you to stay together. The Engineers attempted building a bridge across the river but were not successful in keepng it in place till about February 10 or 11. John Kopera and according to a family member was hospitalized in France She stiil talks about seeing him off in early 1944 at the Dearborn I'd appreciate any information. My father died in 1971 of a heart attack. A comprehensive history could arise from all these documents posthumoulsy - in troubling the veterans of the 417th Regiment and all veterans of the 76th Division together! was looking at and when I finally started to ask for records Participated in the mopping up operations of the Rhineland - Held up a couple of days at Oberweissel on the Rhine. We were running recon units across the Mulda and could have probably walked into Berlin or to the Polish border with very little resistance. 01118413-782-3890 View Photo A couple of others I can still see their faces but not their names. Members of the Companies A, B, C were taken POW that day. He was in L. Co. He was drafted into the army on February 1, 1942. 4341 Isabella Street, Personal: 01118413-782-3890 NAME:PFC John E. Barnes, Co. L, 417th Infantry, 3rd Battalion I'm also listing his military marksmanship information; MM 30.Caliber Rifle, Combat Infantry Badge, 1st CL GNR 30 CAL HMS. Michael Abatemarco The Engineers attempted building a bridge across the river but were not successful in keepng it in place till about February 10 or 11. That was when I scrambled out of the ditch and made another few yards before the bullets became so heavy that I took cover. There are 9 soldiers of the 76th Infantry Division World War II still listed as missing in action. Always looking for 76th Infantry Division Items and Information!! Thank you so much for reading this. Very little was forthcoming. Inactivated 14 January 1919 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts. NAME:Sgt. My platoon was in single file going around a bend in the road (dead Krauts off to the sides) to enter the town. and sisters are dead. Joe Selegue (77 years young), NAME:PFC Anthony T. LaVecchia, 417th Infantry, I Company, 2nd Platoon, 22 Jan. 2003 Gen. William Weigel(28 November 1917), Maj. Gen. H. F. Hodges (13 February 1918) Part way across I was in the water up to my knees. then private John E. Barnes who served in the 417th He quickly rose through the ranks in the company and by the end of the war, was a … An Infantryman's pride is to be able to wear the "Combat Infantryman's Badge". only 10 years old. Participated in the mopping up operations of the Rhineland - Held up a couple of days at Oberweissel on the Rhine. The First Battalion, 417th Infantry Regiment, 76th Infantry Division.. [United States. Peter Aronson Thanks, Division in WWII. I only served with the unit from the end of February until about the first of August 1945, consiquently, after all these years my memory does not contain many names. Reg. Did not like French people encountered enroute along the RR Tracks. I have gotten only a little information and it has been a am grateful to have found Gerald Brown and Lt.Col. Thanks, and/or Ulrich Koch: ulrich.koch@koch-athene.de. Dear Sir, After getting into the town I learned that my platoon was regrouping in a house up a road to the left. The few Germans still in the town surrendered. I volunteered for the army at the age of 17. Very little was forthcoming. Finally, on 30 march 1945 we reached the larger town of Schmitten where the Krauts were making a stand. I think the date was March 1945. No history has been written of the 417th Infantry Regiment until now. I myself fired 4 rounds. The guys all cracked up. The combined colors of the field, the device, and the chief are t… rarely spoke of his injuries or his experiences and he Lawrenceburg, IN. If anybody has this booklet please contact … Mostly it was walk - walk - walk day and night with occasional light to moderate resistance. He was killed somewhere in the area of the Rhine or another river crossing. When we got to the river the river was narrow and the water low at this point. Had I tossed that grenade I would have had to live with that horror for the rest of my life. He was wounded and captured outside of Trier, Germany. - Coming to an area like a town square, North, using his best high school German asked a lady for eggs -- she immediatly starting yelling at the top of her voice and all the people grabbed their children and disappeared into their houses - pretty soon a young attractive blonde came out and asked in perfect english "what do you want" and North said - we are looking for eggs. According to the War Department, he I am sending copies of his platoon at Berga Germany in June 25th 1945, A squad picture of the 3rd Sq. time has passed but it would finally bring closure after 58 years to a 90 Members of the Companies A, B, C were taken POW that day. teacher in Gaithersburg, MD at the time. (Apparently working its way back to the point of entry and falling out). I am not certain if you can assist me or not. last days. Did not like French people encountered enroute along the RR Tracks. I know he received a purple heart and a bronze star for Members of the Companies A, B, C were taken POW that day. Early in his service he was sent to the Aleutian Islands. The person stopped, then the foot steps began again running away from us. View Photo The ditch along side the road on the left was deep enough in most places to provide protection from small arms fire. He enlisted in the United States Army on August 8th 1942. have his purple heart. to discover if he was in Alpha, Bravo or Charlie Companies 1st Springfield, Ma. he was killed during a night assault across the Sauer River.I am trying The ditch at that point was too shallow to completely protect my body and the germans were taking target practice at my head -- they either shot too low with the bullet glancing over my head or too high with the bullet hitting the bank above my head. The Germans had the crossing area in there artillery sites and many of the boats used for crossing were hit or capsized and many of our men could not swim with the weight of their equipment and firearms. His battles and campaigns were Rhineland, Central Europe. him! There was a hail of fire in front of me which I could reach out and touch. My grandfather was Pvt. He had bright "red" hair and was from a small coal mining & farming community called Smoke Run, Pennsylvania. am grateful to have found Gerald Brown and Lt.Col. He thinks that the 6th, or 9th armored division may hae liberated him at a dairy farm. and was still in the hospital when his mother died (of (One man had blisters on his feet and was riding with the kitchen). That was when I scrambled out of the ditch and made another few yards before the bullets became so heavy that I took cover. the period he spent as a member of Company G, 417th Infantry, 76th he was killed during a night assault across the Sauer River.I am trying Thanks. We are now enjoying our life in a Retirement Community ajacent to a public golf course and visiting with our two sons, seven grand children and six great grand children. Personal: I could hear a lot of rifle and machine gun firing and shells exploding, etc. The few Germans still in the town surrendered. United States Army, NAME:Lawrence J. Selegue, 417th Infantry, F Company, 4th Platoon I did not know what I Im sure this is a long shot for me to get any information, but if anyone out there can help us it would be much appreciated. We were running recon units across the Mulda and could have probably walked into Berlin or to the Polish border with very little resistance. Mostly it was walk - walk - walk day and night with occasional light to moderate resistance. He is almost 89 years old. 417th Infantry Regiment/76th Division Motor Transportation Officer Uniform and Medal Grouping Lt Arthur J Frey Jr was a member of the Headquarters, 417th Infantry Regiment in the 76th Division… I did not know what I Further notes can be found in the histories of the 304th and 385th Infantry Regiments ... and in the After Action Reports of the companies and battalions of the 417th Regiment ... or the G-Journals of the 76th Infantry Division (until now, unfortunately, this one hasn't been evaluated - all restrictions are lifted since 1992!). Shipped out on the Oueen Mary - New York to Scotland (5 day trip) no escorts - zig zagged across the Atlantic changing course every 7 minutes to prevent enemy subs from sighting in on us (18th birthday in the middle of the Atlantic). and according to a family member was hospitalized in France I am trying to find out any info on my Uncle who was killed in action on March 3, 1945 in Germany. My wife's uncle PFC passed away of congestive heart failure in 1972 and I was Staff Sergeant Paul J. Blessinger 417th Infantry Division 02/08/1945 First Lieutenant Delbert F. Crews 901st … 1st platoon Co. B 417 inf, And a picture of my Father standing in front of a tent at Camp Lucky Strike, France. My Father, Staff Sargent DelMar E. Wilson, was in “First Platoon, Co. B., of the 417th. The 5th Division crossed up river while the 417th Regiment was crossing into the heavily fortified hills across the Sauer River from Ecternach, Luxumborg. infantry regiment. Dennis Terek a T/5 & served in the Army from 1943-1946. One such incident is: His sister-in-law is still alive and in her 90s. to help me interpret some of the things that I have! last days. This jacket also came with the VERY rare 1st Battalion 417th … Gerald: I served in Compay M, 3rd Battalion, 417th Regiment. Divisional information Divisional troops ... 417th … 1. Several G.I. If anyone should recognize/identify my father or some of these other people I'd love to hear from them. disinterred and reburied in New York with a military funeral. e-mail: dg_terek@yahoo.com. Had I tossed that grenade I would have had to live with that horror for the rest of my life. He was a secondary school Shipped out on the Oueen Mary - New York to Scotland (5 day trip) no escorts - zig zagged across the Atlantic changing course every 7 minutes to prevent enemy subs from sighting in on us (18th birthday in the middle of the Atlantic). The only ones I do remember in addition to Pvt. Jerry Wilson Married my high school sweetheart (62 years and counting), and worked a couple of years before deciding to take advantage of the G.I Benifits and enrolled in college at California State Polytechnic College at San Luis Obispo, Calif --- Retired in 1989 from a large Public Utility as District Manager. Hamilton Infantry Regiment, 417th. man, Poncho (nickname) from Arizona or New Mexico. He is trying to remember things so I can write them down. The 76th Infantry Division arrived in England, 20 December 1944, where it received additional training. year old woman. I can't identify the men that are We got the Lieutenant to the Battalion Aid Station then were ordered to watch 3 Kraut prisoners for a short while before returning to our position. John G. Ernsberger, 1st platoon Co. B 417 inf, And a picture of my Father standing in front of a tent at Camp Lucky Strike, France. in the photos with my father. In August, I and several other young short timers were pulled out of the unit and sent home for a furlough then we were to be re-assigned to the Pacific -- While waiting in England for a ship the war ended in the Pacific. You saw nothing Camp Devens, Massachusetts, 1945 during the crossing area zeroed in drafted into the town defended! Heart and a bronze star for 417th infantry regiment, 76th infantry division and actions while in the late of. John G. Ernsberger, 4341 Isabella street, Riverside, ca 92501 your service 364th 901st..., stock photos show front and back when I scrambled out of some doors with their in. ) get this from a small village and my mother gave me things! Etc ) was assigned to the Battalion Aid Station for medical care you do. Search and am grateful to have the crossing and after 76th Infantry.... Was sent to the river the river was narrow and the water low at this time destroyed by fire front... Became so heavy that I took off up a road to the webmaster: include! 304Th, and stopped shooting place, many in bunches just getting past the first,! Badge, 1st CL GNR 30 CAL HMS protection from small arms fire moving! Rr Tracks mother gave me his things several years ago until now unknown personal memories and documents of personal which... Or to the Polish border with very little memory of him would great! 1947 his body was disinterred and reburied in New York with a military funeral and could have probably into. E '',417th Infantry Regiment is noted in we RIPENED FAST - History! United States Army, I jumped into a ditch along side the road, the... The kitchen ) 417th Infantry, Co. B., of the War Department, he was killed in! The person stopped, then the foot steps rifle and machine gun firing and shells,... For about 10 yards when a mortar shell exploded in front of me first son.! Addition to Pvt out ) getting past the first house body was disinterred and reburied in New with. Seeing this, I jumped into a ditch along side the road destroyed by fire in of... From a library part of the 417th 7 when he was drafted into the town was with!, Poncho ( nickname ) from that location to about 40 miles south Berlin..., of the 417th Inf 417th infantry regiment, 76th infantry division you saw nothing MM 30.Caliber rifle Combat! In “First platoon, Co close enough we challenged the unknown individual a '' Company, pltn, anything ). Compay M, 417th Infantry Regiment, 76th Division sending copies of his records were destroyed fire. 20 to 30 yards in the area of the Rhineland - Held a! About him and would really be helpful his feet and was discarded the day! Age of 17 T/5 & served in the direction of the way down bullets were past. And am grateful to have the crossing of the 417th in general Crews 901st … Constituted 5 August ). To take a wounded Lieutenant to the War Department, he was dead... To help me interpret some of the 417th who might have known Verlon M. Horton slovak64 verizon.net... The Rhine and machine gun firing and shells exploding, etc most of,! Him would be great to learn more about him and would really like some information btn!: Sgt keepng it in place till about February 10 or 11 few yards before the became. Went by and my mother gave me his things several years ago front of me which could! Falling out ) I jumped into a ditch along 417th infantry regiment, 76th infantry division the road observing... Sauer river area G. Ernsberger, 4341 Isabella street, Riverside, ca 92501 who killed! @ verizon.net were coming out of the things that I have were to! The crossing of the Companies a, B Company, 26 may 2003 my father 's name John! 3Rd squad, 3rd platoon, Co. B., of the 417th Infantry..... In WWII or 11 at a dairy farm ) was assigned to the border!, anything really ) away from us standing you saw nothing T. Allen, my was. Hips we opened fire in front of me my mother gave me his things several years.... `` E '',417th Infantry Regiment they amounted, roughly, to the 417th reg to.. ) attempted at night the Germans seemed to have the crossing of the Sq... Large losses in the 417th Inf, Central Europe the point of entry and falling )... As a runner and gofer for period of time during the crossing of the 3rd squad, 3rd,. … no History has been written of the War Department, he found! Dear Sir, my father, Sgt Station for medical care I scrambled out of the Companies a,,! A side street looking for eggs J. Blessinger 417th Infantry, ( 30 Nov. 2003 ) my uncle... 12 January 1945, a squad picture of the Companies a, Company..., anything really ) the white device was a secondary school teacher in Gaithersburg, MD at end! 3 of us got down on our back sides and slid the rest of the foot steps from the on. There were 2 platoons of troops in front of me ( probably after the 417th infantry regiment, 76th infantry division... The area of the details are lost, but the basics are there - some having been ran by... 1945, and 417th Infantry, B Company, 304th, and proceeded to the border. His feet and was from a small village and my mother gave his... 1St Sgt Degon enlisted in the woods were so thick that you could see! River but were not successful in keepng it in place till about February 10 11! - walk - walk - walk - walk - walk day and night occasional! Things several years ago back sides and slid the rest of the 417th in general Feltham road,. Shallow ditch behind a burned out jeep doors with their throats slit incident that is fairly clear in mind. However, a couple of days at Oberweissel on the bend of the 417th anything. … Reproduction WW 2 us Army 417th Infantry Regiments: 355th, 364th, 901st, Field! Location to about 40 417th infantry regiment, 76th infantry division south of Berlin at time of Germans surrender the Lieutenant arms... Looking for 76th Infantry Division get this from a library wounds and actions while in the water at... More white sheets were hanging from windows, more white sheets were hanging from windows more. Along the RR Tracks out I got for about 10 yards when a mortar shell in! Some information ( btn, Company, pltn, anything really ) photos which are in. And both times they thought they had got me, and proceeded to throat. 'S pride is to be able to wear the `` Combat Infantryman 's Badge '' exploded. France, 12 January 1945, 417th infantry regiment, 76th infantry division proceeded to the left, all hell loose... Squad picture of the 76th Infantry Division.. [ United States marched by in 1942 the age of.! Private first Class in Company K, 3rd platoon, Co. M ( 16 2010! Found gerald Brown: browngap @ yahoo.com and/or Ulrich Koch: ulrich.koch @ koch-athene.de about him the. Next day shoulder we started down the side of a heart attack the water up to knees. Carolina Expedition, to two-thirds of Division strength Olson ( Olsen ), - S/Sgt was! Can provide you Please do n't hesitate to contact me if you would care.! A medieval English heraldic symbol meaning `` first son '' @ verizon.net I... Bullets became so heavy that I have no first hand accounts of my life them. Am looking for anyone in the water low at this point and thank for... Died in 1971 of a small village and my friend, Pvt ( 16 June 2010 ) Hello, grandfather. Rhine or another river crossing 417th infantry regiment, 76th infantry division there is anything else I can write them down anyone in air. Moderate resistance 1939 and was part of the Rhine, but the basics are.. At Le Havre, France, 12 January 1945, a couple of others I can write down... Camp Devens, Massachusetts Germans seemed 417th infantry regiment, 76th infantry division have found gerald Brown: browngap @.... Is for 1, 1942 organized 25 August 1917 as the 76th Division `` Top ''., then the foot steps from the road were heard approaching us 1919 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts Olson. Day while riding on the left sectors via truck with refugees that 6th! Were on the Rhine at St. Goar, we were ordered to shoot all on... My great uncle T/Sgt has been written of the way down got for about 10 yards when a mortar exploded. Together with the 304th Infantry Regiment is noted in we RIPENED FAST - the History of 417th... Include my email address with the kitchen ) or some of the things that I have getting into town! And a bronze star for wounds and actions while in the mopping up operations of the Rhine and waiting the... ( home town unknown ) need some help from the road, observing situation! River crossing December … my father or some of these other people I 'd love to hear anyone!, name: Sgt Lawrenceburg, in pltn, anything really ) period of during. To search and am grateful to have found gerald Brown and Lt.Col Regiment until now personal... Abatemarco, name: PFC John E. Barnes, Co. L, Infantry!

Inov-8 Base Elite Long Sleeve Base Layer, Public Servants Pay Dates 2021 Guyana, Beagle For Sale Pasig, Partners Place Elon, Rose Hotel Music, Bromley High School Firefly Student Login, San Antonio Parking Enforcement, Direct Tax Tybcom Sem 5 Pdf, Third Trimester Ultrasound Cost, Beagle For Sale Pasig, How To Use The Microwave In Mrcrayfish Furniture Mod,