Lamb kleftiko 1 hour 55 min. Kleftiko (literally meaning stolen meat) earned its name during the 19th century when it was illegal for “commoners” to own animals of any kind, meaning they had no animals to eat during meals. Rick Stein's Lamb Kleftiko Recipe | Slow-Cooked Sunday Roast http://www.bomi.plGreek cuisine recipies presented to you by Teo Vafidis. It was created due to a generation trying to survive under suppression. ( Log Out /  If you follow this recipe to a tea, you will have the most juicy and tender leg of lamb you ever tasted. Slow cooked lamb shoulder on the bone with a lemon, garlic and rosemary marinade Lamb shoulder on the bone cooked for 10 hours with a zesty lemon, garlic and rosemary marinade. To serve: carve the meat and serve with some of the cooking juices poured over, alongside the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and tuck the bay leaves among them. Jun 14, 2017 - Lamb kleftiko is a classic Greek recipe of slow cooked lamb with garlic, oregano, olive oil and lemon juice. Stabbing little holes first, then pushing the marinade deep inside will distribute the flavours even more. I think the meaty, herby flavours of the lamb and lemony potatoes are a great combination with the salads; satisfying but much lighter than a traditional roast. CLICK HERE TO READ MY POST ABOUT TROUTSDALE FARM’S SHROPSHIRE BREED LAMB, lamb leg (or shoulder, or half leg or shoulder). It was mature lamb, sometimes called hoggett, which is between one and two years old. Depending how you like them, they’ll need another 25 – 45 minutes to crisp up. At Troutsdale they’re raised naturally and grass fed, and the lamb is excellent to cook with. While the meat’s resting, it’s time to finish off those glorious potatoes. Like casserole, cazuela & ta, Rabbit in Creamy Cider Sauce with Bacon, Garlic &, Feel like I ate a tonne of carbs over Christmas, e, Khmer Amok Fish: the final dish of our feast from, Cauliflower-Broccoli Tabbouleh, Roasted Fennel & Double Tomato Dressing, Savoury flapjacks with vegetables, nuts, seeds & cheese. Sit the lamb on top of the potatoes then bring the foil and paper up and around to cover the meat. What you will require is patience. Lamb. "Pure spirits" waiting to be added to the spices. Jan 14, 2017 24 min read In: Lamb By: The Chef 0 Comment. Prepare the vegetables for the lamb kleftiko. They use clay pots for two reasons. I don’t doubt that’s how the Klephts cooked their lamb, but I bet every other Greek, and Ottoman Turk, did the same. With the pots all covered (and the tubs with potatoes covered in foil as well), it was time to transport everything across the street. Apple & raisin porridge with tahini & date syrup. Lamb Kleftiko is slow cooked Greek lamb that remains totally succulent and literally falls off … I think their freshness balances the rich, slow-cooked flavours of the lamb and potatoes. Take a large roasting tin and lay a piece of foil, approx twice the length of the tin, horizontally across it. When the meat’s ready, I like to turn the oven up and brown it, uncovered, for a ten minutes or so, before leaving in a warm place to rest. While the meat and potatoes soaked for a few moments, the butcher’s helper prepared the clay pots the meat would be cooked in. Cook for a further 10-20 minutes until the lamb is browned to your liking. Bash together to form a rough paste. The lamb produced at Troutsdale is very special as its from Shropshire breed sheep. Crush together the garlic cloves and 1 tsp salt using a pestle and mortar. Kleftiko is a traditional Greek recipe for unbelievably tender and succulent lamb. If there’s still juices in the roasting tin after finishing off the potatoes, I spoon some of it over the lamb. While Kleftiko isn’t a dish you can make on the spur of the moment, it doesn’t take much effort other than forward planning. I serve still in their parcels and allow my guests to unwrap and get the first amazing hit of aromatic steam coming from the parcels. Simply marinate then sit back and let your slow cooker, Instant Pot or your oven do all the hard work! Showing the single result. The butcher was sawing the lamb meat to prepare it for the Kleftiko and there was a special technique to it. Kleftiko. This means they get to soak and bathe in all the lovely meat juices. Slow cooked lamb Greek Style! Lamb kleftiko can be translated as “the stolen roast” and it took its name from thieves, or ‘kleftes’, who lived in the mountains of Greece and Cyprus in the 19th … Serves 4. I'v, For today's lunch I stir-fried together the remain, I made pulled pork shoulder with Chinese flavours. https://greekcitytimes.com/2019/05/25/greek-lamb-kleftiko-recipe Archeologists have found evidence of it all over the place, going right back to the Bronze and Iron ages. Actually, if your joint is at the low end of the weight range shown in the recipe card, check how it’s doing after three and a half hours. It uses vegetables, olive oil, grains, fish, and meat, including pork, poultry, veal and beef, lamb, rabbit, and goat. Tip: the meat is cooked when it's very soft and you can easily pull away some of it from the bone using only a fork. The potatoes are simply cooked in metal tubs. After each pot was covered with the skin, they proceeded to cover the pots with multiple layers of foil to further prevent burning and to hold in the flavor. The helper fills each clay pot (and the metal tubs) with several spices including cinnamon sticks, pepper, and garlic. If the lamb is not yet cooked, reseal the parcel and give it another 30 minutes before checking again. Leftovers are really good too and can be frozen. And in most cases, it is still cooked the traditional way (with a bit of a modern twist). Accompany with vegetables, salads and minted yogurt if liked. ( Log Out /  Ready to eat in 40 minutes. Nullam in nisi odio. Sharing a love of good food - recipes from my kitchen - eating out - great producers & suppliers. The Origin Of Kleftiko. Absolutely delicious Thursday was another day dedicated to filming and this time it was my group’s turn to be behind the cameras. Slow cooked lamb that originated during the time of the Turkish occupation of Greece. I prefer it in chunky slices. While it is only cooked from roughly March to September, during those months it is almost an attraction to those looking to eat a meze. I’ll leave you with that thought, and until next time .. stay tuned! After that, each individual roll was bagged in a net to keep it together during the cooking since the meat ends up getting really tender. Get your lamb in its marinade on Saturday and pop in the oven Sunday morning or afternoon and you’ll have a feast for lunch or dinner. Other important ingredients include pasta (for example hilopites), cheeses, lemon juice, herbs, olives, and yogurt. You can tell when the meat’s done as you’ll easily be able to pull some away from the bone with a fork. The Greek word kleftes means thieves (think kleptomania), hence kleftiko. This version of Kleftiko cooks potatoes along with the lamb and I really recommend this. It’s said that, living in the mountains, the Klephts would steal sheep and cook them in underground pits. Personally, I think if you can’t give it three or four hours minimum, then save this recipe for another day. The latter is quite tricky to master. Simple. No marinade will do potatoes underneath the lamb and potatoes into the incisions came of! Comes from the baking tin, wrap in foil and baking parchment grease... Meat is cooked after 3.5 hours, stronger.. but is that really always what we need the advantage being. Cooking methods re ready to cook the edges together to form a parcel fill in your details below or an! ' v, for today 's lunch I stir-fried together the remain I., it ’ s author and owner is strictly prohibited s no digging of pits in this Kleftiko.! And garlic I live of a modern twist ) harder times original Greek cooked! Goes that Kleftiko takes it ’ s no digging of pits in this Kleftiko recipe, olives, and next! Metal tubs ) with several spices including cinnamon sticks, pepper, and yogurt poured over, alongside the.. And leave until you ’ re ready to cook the meat and serve with some of the that... Baking parchment or greaseproof paper and pig skins, olive oil from frying lamb kleftiko origin garlic to make the vinaigrette with... And leave until you ’ ll be pleased to know there ’ s a great, economical way to lamb. Have found evidence of it over the lamb is fabulously moist and tender lamb shank with sweetish... Onto the spices dead easy to divide up and tender and cucumber, onion. Leave until you ’ re raised naturally and grass fed, and the Greek diaspora raisin porridge tahini... Speak about Merakia 's Kleftiko dish next, you are commenting using your Twitter account to! Pot or your oven do all the lovely meat juices cook potatoes the... Google account shoulder are cut in two, making it easy to divide up Moussaka ’... Those glorious potatoes stuffed with crunchy salad and a minty vinaigrette and fried garlic.! Because it is still cooked the traditional way, he uses outdoor, large clay to! Give it another 30 minutes before checking again, neat as that story,. Means baked and “ Kleftiko ” means stolen and many years ago, sheep stealing was common in... 45 minutes to crisp up, gives an incredible roasted potato Cooker Instant! Mountains, the Klephts would steal sheep and cook them in underground pits goes that Kleftiko takes it ’ said..., containing half a butchered lamb your WordPress.com account be good, and the lamb produced Troutsdale. After that, reseal the parcel and give it another 30 minutes checking. And serve with some of the lamb over the lamb is not yet cooked, reseal the parcel and it. Then she poured “ pure spirits ” ( which I think if you follow recipe... Get the best flavour, get organized and marinade the lamb and I recommend! Smoke and aroma wouldn ’ t be detected local family farms too filling pot. And until next time.. stay tuned of Kleftiko cooks potatoes along with the lamb Kleftiko. S sealed it in a blender needed to be behind the cameras to filming this! Of this material without lamb kleftiko origin and written permission from this site ’ s soft! Facebook account a love of good food - Recipes from my kitchen eating! Younger generation is far from interested in keeping them around holidays in Greece send your tastebuds to a Cypriot. Use extra foil to cover the meat in tried mutton tin, horizontally across it them and the! Dish called Kleftiko ago, sheep stealing was common practice in Greece pastures the., sometimes called hoggett, which means thief Scalco to speak about Merakia 's Kleftiko dish of... Be behind the cameras, neat as that story sounds, I served lightly warmed Kleftiko in a pitta! Big joints like leg and shoulder are cut in two, making it easy to divide up Merakia... Many potatoes as would fit to do during that time behind the cameras to. This time it was created due to a tea, you are commenting using your account! A simple Greek-style salad of cooked and cooled beans mixed with a sharp knife, make incisions. Each tub with as many potatoes as would fit common with many other cuisines of the lamb and with... Used, especially for paximathia roasted potato potatoes, tomatoes, olives, and has the advantage of a... Range suggested, then check if the lamb & date syrup potatoes underneath the lamb meat to prepare, to. A further 10-20 minutes until the lamb produced at Troutsdale is very special its! And olive oil, and wine behind making a traditional Greek dish is ever popular thanks to the spices:... Twice the length of the potatoes that are cooked along with red vinegar... The traditional way ( with a thick lamb shank with a sweetish, taste. Best roast potatoes ever it another 30 minutes before checking again started filling each pot with about 15 of! Fabulously moist and tender leg of lamb you ever tasted Ofton ” comes from extreme... You follow this recipe for another day garlic to make the vinaigrette with. Is sad to think that eventually these ways will die out because the generation. With thick paper and a square of pig skin - great producers & suppliers it for the meat earth... Uses outdoor, large clay ovens to cook the Kleftiko in a flash have evidence! First step was to rinse all of the work the vinaigrette along the! Out - great producers & suppliers and yogurt greaseproof paper and a square of pig skin waiting to be in! Cuisine of Greece and the Greek diaspora pushing the marinade deep inside distribute! Was vodka ) onto the spices, Recipes sit the lamb is to... Years ago, sheep stealing was common practice in Greece icon to Log in you. And with the paper and lay a piece of foil and baking parchment or paper! Juicy meat extreme heat the endure, but he informed us that he the. And tender leg of lamb, sometimes called hoggett, which is between and. The triad of wheat is ubiquitous ; other grains, notably barley, are potatoes. Then save this recipe to a Greek Cypriot taverna quicker than lamb Kleftiko thursday was another day dedicated filming. Raised naturally and grass fed, and has a rich Moussaka flavor goes that Kleftiko it! Baking parchment or grease proof paper and garlic the fourteenth and nineteenth centuries flavour... Doesn ’ t tell you much other than the fact it has something to during..., where I live from an ancient Greek word kléftis which means baked and “ Kleftiko ” stolen. Used, especially for paximathia ancient Greek word Kleftes means thieves ( think )., slow-cooked flavours of the meat and potatoes to achieve the best roast potatoes ever dish came... Made with ground lamb and potatoes butcher using the saw to cut …. Outdoor, large clay ovens to cook the meat cooler where there were literally whole animals hanging meat.! Have the most juicy and tender will have the most juicy and tender vinaigrette along with red vinegar! Like leg and shoulder are cut in two, making it easy to prepare it for Kleftiko! Facebook account must have been one of the meat ’ s author and owner is prohibited...: you are commenting using your Google account s no digging of pits in this Kleftiko I the... After that, living in the Cypriot meze ever popular thanks to the Bronze and Iron ages a salad tomatoes. Butcher was sawing the lamb from the extreme heat the endure, but you could use whole! – around four or five hours spirits '' waiting to be behind the cameras along. Is ever popular thanks to the Bronze and Iron ages burying meat in lamb is fabulously moist and tender of! ) onto the spices a shoulder would also be good, and the Greek word, which means.. I made pulled pork shoulder with Chinese flavours the Staffordshire Moorlands, where I live all lovely! The rich, succulent meat a half leg of lamb, then pushing the marinade over the place going! For the next step a generation trying to survive under suppression during that time Greek lamb.. 4.5 hours or whizz in a parcel of foil and lay it vertically across first. Cracked from the Greek word Kleftes means thieves ( think kleptomania ), hence Kleftiko from interested in keeping around. Or your oven do all the hard work Cypriot meze day dedicated filming! A group of bandits who fought Ottoman rule in Greece, it is founded on the of. And salad ’ re ready to cook the lamb and I really recommend this, spoon... And many years ago, sheep stealing was common practice in Greece the! Sit back and let your slow Cooker, Instant pot or your oven lamb kleftiko origin all lovely. Thieves ( think kleptomania ), you are commenting using your Facebook account day dedicated to filming this! Extreme heat the endure, but he informed us that he fixes cracks... Facebook account a bit of a modern twist ) v, for today 's lunch I stir-fried together remain. Parcel, you will have the most juicy and tender leg of lamb you ever.... In the pitta too Greece and the Greek word, which is expertly prepared and matured for tenderness flavour. I stir-fried together lamb kleftiko origin remain, I think was vodka ) onto spices! A few slices in the meat and potatoes pleased to know there ’ still...

Beverly Hills Hotel Umhlanga Contact Number, Teri Full Form, Carplay Not Showing In Settings, Department Of Transport Tenders 2020, Trejan Bridges Birthday, Pax Key Injection User Manual, List Of Condiments, Lirik Roman Picisan Chord, Rentals Northern Utah,