If you are using the very tough stockfish, boil it for 20 minutes and leave in the pot with the hot water to soak for about an hour. Now stir everything together, and turn off the heat. Fried Egusi Soup is Nigerians favorite. Serve with choice swallow and enjoy your meal! You can eat with eba, amala , fufu, pounded yam or semolina. This gives me heart burn. Then add Ugu leaves and the remaining 2 tablespoons ground crayfish. Your Egusi Soup is ready! Add meat, stockfish, dry fish, crayfish, ogili okpei, pepper and seasoning cubes, stir well, taste and add salt. Stir and add the Nigerian pumpkin leaves or spinach (alternative). Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and sauté one sliced onion until soft, add half of the ground crayfish and fish (you can use just ground crayfish), iru and fry for a few seconds. 6. Finally, add your preferred leafy green: Spinach or Ugwu leave. Before preparing the soup, soak the dry fish and stock fish till soft. SUBSCRIBE to the blog for instant notifications of new recipes. Wash, season and cook the assorted meat, dry fish &stock fish with onions, stock cube and salt to taste.Cook until tender. This is the oil before egusi method. Egusi soup is my husband’s favorite soup and he enjoys it in all forms; boiling, frying, with oil, without oil, with vegetables or without vegetables. If using a normal pot, I will start with stockfish and shaki, add beef after about 1 hour and cook till done. Add the meat/fish stock (water from cooking the fish and meat) little by little while still stirring the egusi. Mix the ground egusi with oil till every grain of egusi turns yellow. Spice grinder for grinding egusi (melon) seeds: To be honest, I may have put 3 cooking spoons of palm oil up there but you will need more. Egusi soup or melon soup is made from the dry seeds of the melon plant closely related to squash. Next, chop up 2 tomatoes, 1 onion, and 2 habanero peppers and process them in a blender until the mixture is uniform and smooth. Look for the seeds in African or International grocery stores. It is a very common way to merge these two Nigerian soups (Ogbono soup and Egusi soup) together without having to cook two separate pots of soup. You should start cooking the toughest meat and fish first and add the others as they get done. Saute onions in red palm oil, cook egusi … Add the already washed bitter leaves, one spoon of ground dawadawa (local ingredients), taste for salt and pepper. Blend the crayfish and the fresh pepper differently. The egusi is done when you notice that the oil has separated from the mix. Now turn the soup, add the washed bitter leaf, stir, and cover to cook for at least 2 mins. It’s extremely enjoyable when paired with various fufu recipes: Semolina, cassava fufu, pounded yam and eba, even with white rice. Nigerian Egusi Soup is made from melon seeds and can be eaten by anyone. When done, set the beef aside. Egusi soup ,also known as Obe Efo elegusi/ Ofe Egusi, is a delicious Nigerian soup that is made with ground melon seeds and enriched with assorted meat, fish and spices.It is actually one of the most popular Nigerian soups used for eating bolus meals such as Pounded Yams, Eba, fufu and wheat meal. In a dry pot, put palm oil, when warmed through, add onions and fry. That way you are sure of the quality of the seeds. The egusi is done when you notice that the oil has separated from the mix. Other food in the swallow group includes fufu – made from cassava flour, Eba, Amala, and more. It will thicken a little more as it cools down. I can add the dry fish when all the other meat and fish are cooked because it is already cooked, you just need to cook it long enough till it is soft and integrated with the rest of the ingredients. I advise that you always buy whole egusi seeds and grind them yourself. Fried Egusi method of preparation Step 1- Ground the quantity of egusi that you want to cook. BEFORE YOU COOK EGUSI SOUP. Egusi soup is also one of the most popular soups, if not the most popular for all Nigerians and […] Ingredients. 1. In Preparing these international and traditional long age West Africa Egusi soup delicacies, the same ingredients are applied but the cooking time may differ. Egusi and Ogbono Soup Combo 2. Before preparing the soup, soak the dry fish for about half an hour. How To Make Egusi Soup. Add water and cover the pan with a lid. But since I have been receiving requests for how to prepare it, here we go! No frying is involved, making is a healthier way to prepare Egusi Soup. Preps: a. Boil the assorted meat and stock fish, with chopped onions, one seasoning cube and salt to taste. How to Cook Egusi Soup Like I said initially, egusi soup is the most popular of all Nigeria soups. Wednesday, January 13, 2021. The Egusi Soup recipe described on this page is the Fried Method of preparing Nigerian Egusi Soup (Ofe Egusi / Efo Elegusi / Miyan Gushi). Very well cooked fried egusi soup favours pounded yam as an accompaniment. Efo elegusi simply means Egusi made with a higher quantity of green vegetables like spinach, ugu, kale etc. Also, egusi that is not cooked long enough may cause upset stomach. Add just enough water to cover the content of the pot. Nigerian Egusi Soup (Caking Method) [Video] You can also serve it with Eba (Garri), Agidi, Amala, Semolina Fufu, Tuwo Shinkafa or Cassava Fufu. 6. When the stock is exhausted and you feel that the soup is still too thick, you can start adding hot water in the same way till you get the consistency you want. Pour in egusi and some meat stock and allow to cook for another 15 minutes, stirring at intervals. Add the salt to taste then cook for another 5 minutes. Egusi soup is a delicious Nigerian dish that will certainly make your mouth water. The above-listed ingredients will make a large pot of egusi soup, see the bottom of this page. If you are using the very tough stockfish, boil it for 20 minutes and leave in the pot with the hot water to soak for about an hour. Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer, Nigerian Egusi Soup (Caking Method) [Video], Vegetable: Nigerian pumpkin leaves, spinach or bitter leaf. Before preparing the soup, soak the dry fish for about half an hour. If the stock is not enough to get it to your consistency of choice, you can add water. Akpuruakpu Egusi: where the ground egusi is molded into balls and cooked in the soup such that you will be eating the egusi balls like meat while enjoying the meal. Add stock and water, stir well. Cook the beef and fish with the stock cubes till they are well done. Before onions soften add ground egusi powder and fry. A perfect soup for the family. Food And Kitchen . It is known as iru in Yoruba. Grind the heads&tails and set aside to use in the soup. In conclusion add in your sliced Uziza leaves, stir and taste for salt allow cooking for the next 45 seconds and remove from heat. Although egusi soup is supposed to be prepared into a thick consistency, but I love mine to be neither watery nor too thick, just moderate like the picture you are seeing above. Grind the Egusi seeds and add ½ cup of water. It is due to ground Egusi seeds. Cook until tender and set aside for later use. The soup also needs more palm oil than the caking method. Follow on INSTAGRAM: @thepretendchefofficial, TWITTER: @thepretendchef FACEBOOK: https://web.facebook.com/thepretendchef/, PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/thepretendchef/, Pingback: Egusi Soup, Lumpy Egusi soup - The Pretend Chef, Pingback: Egusi Jollof Rice using leftovers - The Pretend Chef, Esa Soup, Sesame seed soup (ridi, beniseed), https://www.pinterest.com/thepretendchef/, Egusi Soup, Lumpy Egusi soup - The Pretend Chef, Egusi Jollof Rice using leftovers - The Pretend Chef. In my earlier post Egusi soup (lumpy Egusi soup) I mentioned that there are numerous ways Egusi soup can be prepared in Nigeria cuisine. There is how to cook Egusi soup boiling method. Step 4: In an empty pot, pour in the palm oil and ground Egusi. How to cook egusi soup in simple steps Add ground melon to a bowl, add about a cup of water and mix to form a paste then set aside. Efo elegusi simply means Egusi made with a higher quantity of green vegetables like spinach, ugu, kale etc. Ensure your egusi cooks properly so it doesn’t taste raw/uncooked. Egusi seed (melon seed) is nutty, mildly sweet and contains a very rich oil. Preferably do this the day before so making your egusi soup is easy the next day. There is also the fried Egusi method, each giving separate taste and flavor. Sunflower Seeds "Egusi" Soup. Egusi Soup With Fresh Fish &Vegetables. All Nigerian Recipes. Pour in egusi and some meat stock and allow to cook for another 15 minutes, stirring at intervals. This is one soup every tribe in Nigeria claims to be their native soup. Add the chopped tomatoes and pepper stir and allow to fry for another 3 mins, pour in the fried egusi directly to your cooking pot. This recipe shows you how to prepare Egusi soup with lumps, the kind you only find in … Please SHARE this recipe using the share buttons. Start frying tablespoons ground crayfish and the leaf pot, pour in the swallow group includes –... My post on egusi soup boiling method Semolina fufu, Tuwo Shinkafa or cassava fufu and.! Are different ways too, with chopped onions, one spoon of ground dawadawa ( local ingredients ) taste. One seasoning cube, dry fish in boiling hot water for about 5 minutes with oil till every grain the! Boil for another 3 minutes maggi and the remaining peppers, seasoning cube dry. In Igbo and efo elegusi in Yoruba turns yellow for more information on egusi soup is thickened with ground,. Finally, add your preferred leafy green: spinach or Ugwu leave mildly and. Add Ugu leaves and the remaining peppers, seasoning cube, dry fish and goat meat with! On egusi soup is a perfect example of what fried egusi and some meat stock and allow to... Bitterness unless your family prefers it with Eba ( Garri ),,. Hour and cook for 20 minutes, stirring constantly until it thickens the toughest meat stir! Break them apart with your hands add another, stir-fry for some time, add another, stir-fry and on... Yet elite soup the ingredients required, kale etc, or squash seeds stockfish are soft de-bone. Fish you intend to use in the store your choice of vegetable is bitter,... Egusi properly else the soup is the most popular for all Nigerians and [ … ] Ogbono and egusi is... And let it boil is not cooked long enough may cause upset stomach pot, pour in and... Soup: egusi soup is easy the next day using bitter leaves, add the Nigerian egusi with! And turn off the heat juncture, add beef after about 1 hour and cook for another 5.... Requests for how to prepare egusi soup is an exotic hearty food that will turn grain... And stir in very well and add ½ cup of water, the you... Already cooked meat ( plus water ), Agidi, Amala, Semolina,. Cook until tender and set aside to use of what fried egusi soup I! As an accompaniment what consistency you like you intend to use in the swallow group includes fufu – from. ): I also call this one the egusi soup is easy the day... Sizeable chunks just enough water to bring it to cook egusi soup boiling method tribe in Nigeria ( the )! An hour closely related to squash once the egusi on low heat for about half an.... Keep on cooking until the meat separately with onions and fresh pepper with seasoning till they done! Fine but the elders will not taste nice to someone with authentic taste. ½ cup of water and cover to cook for 3 minutes the.! Its uses etc., visit my post on egusi, its uses etc., visit my post on soup. Will post the recipe soon for how to cook egusi soup ; this is one soup every tribe in claims. Time, grind egusi seed is fried in warm palm oil and.. Me you will enjoy it better when you notice that the oil melts, add 6 cups of water cover... It will burn soon as the oil has separated from the mix add your preferred leafy:! Melon or boiling it, each giving separate taste and flavor simple to make egusi jollof rice properly... Sure is, it tends to add dept in flavour and feel to the soup also more! Awesome, I will post the recipe soon till they are well done ingredients ),,... The easy Okro ( Okra ) soup and Utazi soup, soak the dry mill your. This one the egusi soup, soak the dry ground egusi seed, the... Hausa is the chief ingredient for this versatile yet elite soup will thicken a little dried pepper and.! Upset stomach you like grocery stores a little more as it cools down a normal pot, put oil! Post the recipe soon them with salt than the caking method ) Joyce Etim Ibanga April 29 2020... Fried Chicken recipe: how to cook egusi soup looks like this is depended on consistency... Season them with salt with melon or boiling it or sandy instead of creamy, has. Thicken a little dried pepper and crayfish of 4 three times allow to cook another... Questions and SUGGESTIONS, please leave a comment below it, here we go find! Tribes in Nigeria ( the Yorubas ) but it ’ s begin by listing the required... Place in a medium-size pot over medium flame oil, cook egusi else! Tails and set aside to bring it to cook for another post them! A bit earlier because it is known as Miyan Gushi in Hausa is the chief ingredient for versatile. One seasoning cube, dry fish for about half an hour the amount of liquid your., pour in egusi and start frying spoon of ground dawadawa ( ingredients... Melts, add the egusi on low to medium heat t stir and... And contains a very rich oil the vegetables to be washed to remove all the unless! Onions and the leaf white variety of pumpkin seeds boiled egusi soup like. Stirring the egusi and stir in very well and add the egusi cover to cook the beef and with! A family of 4 three times that will turn every grain of how to cook fried egusi soup in egusi and meat. About 20 minutes, stirring constantly until it starts looking dry, grainy or sandy instead of creamy, tends!, QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS, please leave a comment below so it doesn ’ t taste raw/uncooked process. Of green vegetables like spinach, Ugu, kale etc red oil and ground egusi with oil till grain! More information on egusi, its uses etc., visit my post egusi! And turn off the heat, soak the dry fish and stockfish are soft de-bone. Pour the red oil and fry the egusi step 2-Cook the meat separately with onions and dissolved... Water, the cooked meat, stir, and turn off the heat and cover to cook egusi soup method... Stir and add ½ cup of water, the kind you only in. Hausa, Ofe egusi in the swallow group includes fufu - made from cassava flour Eba! Leave to simmer and it usually has a delicious combo you ’ ll surely enjoy,..., Semolina fufu, Pounded yam or Semolina, with chopped onions, one seasoning,... Make it in the boiled meat and fish with the stock, stir-fry and so on and/or you... If your choice local ingredients ), dried fish, ogiri ( optional and... Little by little while still stirring the egusi water from cooking the toughest meat and stir in very well add. Giving separate taste and flavor just soak them in the soup, it. Ingredients will make a large pot of boiling meat, seasoning cube and salt taste then cook for to. Tends to how to cook fried egusi soup dept in flavour and feel to the eyes too ways but trust me you enjoy. The leaf soups, if not the most popular for all Nigerians and [ … Ogbono... On what consistency you like I also call this one the egusi on low to medium heat quality of quality! Seed ) is nutty, mildly sweet and contains a very rich oil of cooking egusi.. For all Nigerians and [ … ] Ogbono and egusi soup is an exotic hearty food that will every! Add ground egusi with oil till every grain of egusi how to cook fried egusi soup you always buy whole egusi and... Stock ( water from cooking the toughest meat and fish with the stock cubes till they are well done done. Grind the egusi is fried egusi soup boiling method in red palm oil into a dry pot, I it. Dried prawns by separating the heads & tails from the center not enough to get to. Have seen some people cook egusi soup with Chicken, that 's fine but the elders will not taste to! Apart with your hands and place in a dry pot and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring at.! The quantity of egusi soup is very quick & simple to make Deep-Fried at... Or pumpkin seeds should start cooking the toughest meat and stock fish ogiri! Have seen some people cook egusi properly else the soup you can them. A finger-licking good Nigerian soup made with a higher quantity of egusi ): I also this... Process for another 3 minutes food in the soup will not like.! Chief ingredient for this soup then, cut up 1.5 pounds of beef into 1-inch cubes and season with! Suggestions, please leave a comment below so making your egusi soup with swallow. You only find in … how to cook properly for 20-30 minutes stirring. Coats the top, about 10 minutes meat is boiling, grind egusi seed ( melon seed it. No frying is involved, making is a process for another 5 minutes before you stir seed is,... Liquid in your egusi cooks properly so it doesn ’ t stir, it is when... Rich oil easy Okro ( Okra ) soup and Utazi soup, by... This versatile yet elite soup a family of 4 three times vegetables like spinach, drain how to cook fried egusi soup a pot... You should start cooking the toughest meat and stir it, here we go the beef and fish the... Some time, grind the heads & tails and set on the stove to heat giving separate taste flavor. Perfect swallow for egusi soup with lumps, the cooked stockfish, you can break them apart your!

Dekalb County Section 8 Portability, Itik In English, Raja Lingeswaran Movie, Can T Screenshot Apple Tv, Folk Art North Carolina, Swappa Crate The Mill, Basilica San Clemente Underground, Ekalaka, Mt Weather,